Official Rules – Michelin Challenge Design for 2018
Michelin North America, Inc. (“Michelin”) is proud to announce the annual Michelin Challenge Design to celebrate, promote, publicize and give visibility to original creative thinking and innovation in vehicle design. By embracing and supporting design, Michelin aims to establish a closer relationship with the design community, combining technical innovation with transportation design to create vehicles that consumers want to buy and will enjoy driving. Michelin challenges the international design community, individuals, small and large companies and universities, to enthusiastically create innovative and aesthetically pleasing design solutions that will meet the theme requirements of the Michelin Challenge Design 2018:
Mobility/Utility/Flexibility: Designing for the Next Global Revolution
Originally created as work vehicles for farmers, contractors, and delivery; pickup trucks have evolved to provide growing appeal as open bedded personal vehicles for an increasingly wide range of users.
Today, changing lifestyles, work needs and economics are creating greater opportunities for pickup designs in varying shapes, sizes and capabilities to meet these growing new market segments around the world.
The 2018 Michelin Challenge Design invites you to design a revolutionary pickup truck with the size, performance, versatility and distinctive new features that will dramatically increase sales by appealing to new customers and regions of the world that you identify.
Your entry should address:
- What makes your design revolutionary?
- Who is the customer?
- What innovations have you incorporated into your design?
- What region of the world have you chosen? Why?
- How will your design appeal to them and what needs does it recognize?
- Michelin Challenge Design is open to residents of any country. Parents or legal guardians of entrants less than the age of majority in their state, province or country must sign the MCD Questionnaire and the MCD Entry Form. Michelin Challenge Design is void where prohibited by law. All entries for the Michelin Challenge Design must be received by August 1 of the previous year.
- Employees of Michelin, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, distributors, suppliers, agents, representatives, advertising, promotional or judging agencies, authorized Michelin tire dealers and distributors, and their immediate family members and those living in the same household, or anyone working on this project, are not eligible to participate.
- By participating you agree to be bound by the Rules and Procedures of this challenge and by the decisions of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury and of Michelin, whose decisions shall be final and binding in all respects. Any entries or displays may be withdrawn or declined for any reason at any time.
- Entrants must include all data and information and fulfill all requirements as required by the Michelin Challenge Design Rules and Procedures and Entry Form in order for the entry to be valid. Entrants must provide all data and information that is accurate and complete. If more than one person designed an entry, all designer names must appear on the “Designer(s) Name(s)” portion of the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form.
- Student designers who are working with an engineering department, at a university, are required to take the lead role in the development of any submitted work. This means that the designer has final say to all technical questions that will have an impact on the functional and aesthetic result of the design work.
III. How to Enter
- No purchase necessary to participate.
- Completed entries will be accepted via Mail, Fax or Internet.
- For Internet entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and submit the online Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form with all accompanying required materials.
- For mail entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and mail it to: Michelin Challenge Design, c/o Event Management Corp., 3150 Livernois, Suite # 175, Troy, MI 48083
- For fax entries, visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com and complete and print the Michelin Challenge Design Entry Form PDF file and fax it and all accompanying required materials to 248-687-7507
- Entry forms must be accompanied by photographs, drawings and/or computer-generated images.
- Incomplete entry forms are subject to disqualification.
- All Entry Forms must be received by Michelin or its designee on or before June 1, 2017.
V. Evaluations Procedures/Criteria
- The Michelin Challenge Design Jury will be evaluating entries based on the following:
- Relevance to the theme.
- Concept originality.
- Design value and quality.
- Developmental potential.
- Design displayability.
- Final evaluation will take place in August 2017, and those chosen to display will be notified shortly thereafter. Decisions of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury and Michelin are final.
VI. Participant Verification
- Michelin and/or its authorized agents retain the right to verify the identity of, eligibility of, and accuracy of information supplied by all individuals or groups who have entered Michelin Challenge Design.
|MCD Registration/Entry Form||
October 15, 2016 – July 1, 2017
|MCD Entry Form/Design Submissions Deadline||
June 1, 2017
|MCD Entry Notification||
|Confirmation from Finalists||
|Announcement of MCD Winners||
|Deadline for Receipt of Display Properties||
October 1, 2017
Please note the dates above are subject to change.
- Michelin will directly notify those chosen to display properties for the Michelin Challenge Design.
- The names of those chosen to display will be posted online at: www.michelinchallengedesign.com.
IX. Use of Selected Property/Ownership Policy
- Conditions of participation: Those chosen to display will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legal, a Publicity Release within 14 days of notification. For those chosen to display who are less than the age of majority in their state, province or country, the affidavit and release(s) must be signed by the participant’s parent or legal guardian. In the event of non-compliance with these requirements, the chosen entry will be disqualified and an alternate will be chosen at Michelin’s discretion.
- All chosen entries will be recognized on www.michelinchallengedesign.com.
- Submissions remain the property of the entrants; however, by entering, all entrants agree to permit Michelin to use their entries, names or likeness, for Michelin advertising/marketing materials in perpetuity and for any and all purposes including but not limited to reproduction, distribution, and public display of any such entry, name or likeness. Entrants also agree that Michelin may use of their names and likenesses for purposes of advertising, trade show use and promotion without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- By entering, participants release and hold harmless Michelin, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in this challenge or acceptance or use in any prize.
- Registered trademarks, e.g., logos, must not be utilized in or on the Design Entry without prior written permission of the owner of the trademark.
X. No Liability
- No responsibility or liability is assumed by Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, agents or representatives, or anyone working on this project: for lost, late, misdirected, illegible, or mutilated entries or any other such events that may occur; or for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connection or for garbled computer transmissions. If for any reason, programs are not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect administration, security, fairness, integrity, or discretion, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, alteration of entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to the participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this promotion. If for any reason your submission cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, Sponsor assumes no responsibility. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions.
- Michelin Challenge Design is governed by the laws of the United States.
- In consideration for display properties, those chosen to display will be eligible for recognition on the Michelin Challenge Design Web site and Michelin Challenge Design displays and events.
Michelin Challenge Design 2018 Awards & Recognition: Full Detail for First, Second, Third Place
- Roundtrip coach airfare to Detroit to attend 2018 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS-Detroit) for the sole designer or, in the case of a team design, one team representative. Michelin will book the airfare on your behalf; any guests will be at your expense.
- Up to Five (5*) nights hotel accommodations in Detroit for NAIAS, including hotel internet service, room rate and taxes at a Michelin-selected hotel. You will be responsible for all other incidentals, and the hotel will ask for a credit card to cover any charges other than room, internet, and taxes.**
- Michelin-arranged transportation from Detroit Metro Airport to Detroit hotel upon arrival and from Detroit hotel to Detroit Metro Airport at departure***
- Travel Visa: If required and you provide Michelin with your receipt, Michelin will reimburse you the expense. This does not apply to passport fees.
- Daily per diem of $50.00 USD/day* (maximum of $250.00 USD) for meals and miscellaneous expenses, available for you at check in to your hotel in the form of a VISA® gift card.
- Entry credentials for Press Days and Industry Preview days at NAIAS (January 2018)
- Invitation to attend and recognition at the private Michelin Designer’s Reception – the Monday night during press days at NAIAS – highlighted by the exposure to NAIAS, media, designers and other winners.
- Private Portfolio Review with some members of the Michelin Challenge Design Jury
- Recognition on www.michelinchallengedesign.com web site
- Recognition on www.cardesignnews.com web site
- Inclusion in Michelin Challenge Design promotional materials and events throughout the year
- Invitation to join a new Michelin Challenge Design Alumni website
- Michelin Challenge Design may also recognize a select number of entries for Honorable Mention which will be publicized on the Michelin Challenge Design and Car Design News web sites.
XII. Contact Information
- Design Inquiries:
- Media Inquiries:
Michelin North America, Inc.
- For More Information please visit http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com or E-mail at email@example.com
- Michelin North America, Inc., of One Parkway South, Greenville, South Carolina 29615, is the Sponsor of the Michelin Challenge Design.
- Publication: After the challenge has concluded, those chosen to display will be published on www.michelinchallengedesign.com. A list of those chosen to display may also be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to Michelin Challenge Design, c/o Event Management Corp., 3150 Livernois, Suite # 175, Troy, MI 48083, to be received by February 1, 2018.
Copyright 2016 MNA Inc.